Tuesday 2 October 2007

Updates: Thai Lessons


Tuesday 16th October.

(photo: Miriam in Cabbages & Condoms -afraid the quality isnt great:-(
.... Now, I really want to mention some of my observations and how learning the language has not only given me deeper insight into Thai culture but a better understanding of my students' 'inherent' errors.

I am thirsty = Dichan hiw naam = Directly translated: I want water
I am hungry = Dichan hiw khaaw = Yeah.. you may guess: I want rice!
Priceless.

Also a lot of our adjectives are what they call static verbs (explains why students never put the verb 'to be' between subject pronoun and adjective). There are no articles to be seen, nor is there a different form for singular or plural - and as far as I can make out (haven't really reached that level yet) tenses are very sporadic, using mostly the present tenses. So, in theory, this should make the language easy to learn... if it weren't for these god forsaken 'tones'. Here is me thinking I am saying 'she is beautiful' but infact I am saying 'Steamed rice!!'. A classic! It makes for a lot of rolling around in laughter but when I am put to the test in the 'real' world I am a bit apprehensive to say anything at all!
We seem to be flying through the course material, not giving us much time to consolidate and apply what we have learned. I practice with Khun Tim everyday which also ends up in side stitches :-)

My friend Miriam has departed on her adventure but will be back to stay in our apartment in December. The NCTest examinations are well underway swamping me with essays to correct - just finished today's batch. I have foregone the gym for several days now, but had two hours in the sun last Sunday so looking a bit more human :-) Amandio is coming back on Friday and I am looking forward to having a day off on Sunday to spend some time with him.

Oh, yeah! I started my Christmas shopping today!! I KNOW.. only October! My colleagues at work are already giving me a hard time about it and must think I am one of those shopaholic expat wives. Truth be told, seeing as we are leaving at the end of November for Portugal and I am working weekends, there isn't much time left. But, I know... scary! LOL

1 comment:

秀芬 said...

LOL!!! Shopping for Christmas!!! Yeah.. what a "valid" reason you gave-flying out BKK in end of Nov... Enjoy your shopping!!!