Tuesday 22 July 2008

Updates: Death of the Camera



My camera unfortunately has died an unexpected death! During our week of luxurious pampering one part of our treatment was a private kayaking trip in the mangroves on the other end of the island. Provided with a waterproof bag we decided to risk taking the new video camera so as not to miss any beautiful shots. Amandio was also eager to catch close-up shots of snakes and other wildlife with the fantastic zoom. In my safe-keeping I filmed Amandio being the explorer and adventurer manoevering deftly around the obstacle course that was eerie branches protruding out of murky water. Eventually, I decided enough was enough.. I also wanted a starring role in the wildlife documentary. After giving the camera to Amandio, he went ahead of my canoe to position himself a few metres in front to get a shot of my kayaking into a mangrove area with a view of the islands of Phuket Bay (JAmes Bond movie background) behind me. He turned back to tell me to start rowing (act naturally ;-) and when turning back he saw a low lying branch at face height. Automatic instinct was to react by ducking abruptly to the left.. turning the kayak over!!! Splash, in went Amandio and camera bag. Luckily the water was waste height..but AMandio, poor guy, concerned only about the camera started feeling blindly for it on the slushy muddy sea floor with his feet! EEUUUWW.. not in a million years! Imagine what is down there! Well, after a bit we found the camera bag bobbing under the upturned kayak .. filled with water! Bye.. bye. His Blackberry was also in the pocket of his swimming trunks (don't ask!!!) which started making this perturbed buzzing noise .. I swear, I thought the thing was going to explode! Well, long story short, the video camera is irrepairable. Naturally, I am disappointed as I was just getting used to my new toy (yet not really all that attached yet) .. I also have my other camera which has always served me well.. and I felt so sorry for Amandio (but at the same time, glad it wasn't me ;-) that well, another one bites the dust - we can always get another one later (not really all that important). Just thought that I would share the story here as it was quite hilarious to see Amandio freaking out and splashing about in this really eerie atmosphere (in hindsight). He was even put out that I hadn't filmed it all with my other camera (which thankfully I had in my kayak). It would have been fun to catch that on film ;-)

1 comment:

秀芬 said...

now i get the full details of the story...lol