Sunday 24 August 2008

IVF 1

Sitting down this evening (Amandio is watching football and Formula 1), having slept a couple of hours after I got home from work, to begin my IVF diary... before time passes and catching up becomes daunting. I am already 10 days into the treatment!
It all started on the 12/13th of August (Mother's Day in Thailand) with a trip to the doctor. The first task at hand was an ultrasound to check that my uterus and ovaries were clear of new endometriosis build up and cysts. I have to admit that I held my breath during that, fully aware that the smallest white blob in the sea of black swirls could be another setback. Our doctor took the time to carefully point out everything in detail, taking measurements and scrutinizing each mysterious fold (god knows, I just nodded along.. trying in vain to distinguish each one :-) .. thankfully there were no problems there.

Step 2 was an injection (a new innovation to replace a nasal spray which would have been awkward as it has to be administered every 6 hours) to supress some hormones to prevent early ovulation (as far as I understood). I had that week off work and really started feeling a bit restless. I made one last valiant effort to go to the gym every morning and was back to running 5kms in 25-30 minutes in the realisation that I would soon be sitting on my laurels, forbidden any kind of strenous exercise for at least the next three months.. I could just visualise those pounds piling on. Also knowing though that when the time comes my only concern will be keeping the baby and all aspirations of looking good will be irrelevant. As I said though.. I was bored... to such an extent that I actually asked my director for some work (two hours a day) to keep me occupied. That along with one private student at home kept my mind busy. Though I think it is good to enter into a relaxed frame of mind, I don't really want to let IVF be the only thing going on in my life.. particularly when I don't feel any side effects and still have lots of energy to burn ;-)

No comments: