Sunday 24 August 2008

IVF 2

The 19th of August was Day 1-2 of my period so off to the hospital we went to do some blood tests. Hormone levels were checked along with all the usual pregnancy tests we had done already this time last year. We had to wait two hours for the results, but of course this was unrealistic seeing as Amandio had to go back to work. It was time to start the ovarian stimulation and monitoring phase with gonadotropin injections.. hormones!! The nurse trained Amandio on how to measure the dosage and administer the injection (intramuscular). The choice was either below my belly button or on my arm... I didn't hesitate for a second on that one! Arm!! We paid a small fortune, got our little freezer box filled with all the necessary drugs and equipment and off home we went. Actually we didn't go home, we had a viewing appointment with the landlady at the townhouse we are interested in to negotiate some of the terms of contract and renovations etc. The doctor called us later to tell us that the dose should be 250ml per injection for 5 days, starting the following day. (involves calculations based on hormone levels).

Day one of the injections (20th August at 9:30am) was memorable. Amandio makes a great nurse.. but after it was all over, he admitted that he just 'had to go for it, without thinking' :-) No hiccups the first day. The second day.. well, imagine the scenario. Me standing by the window, looking away, with a needle sticking into my arm,
when a voice says.. oops! OOOPPS!!??? Amandio had forgotten to measure the dose which he realised only after he had stuck the needle into my skin. So, that day made for two injections.. the second one hit a vain too so bled a bit. I still have quite a bruise to show for it! We had a good laugh! Needless to say, my arm being just a little tender, we swapped to the left arm the next day. The next three days were uneventful. Amandio was really great and is now a pro. As for the side effects, well.. I didn't have any. I have heard about and read many experiences with this when the woman gets very emotional.. jumping from one extreme of tears to anger to laughter. Not for me.. I just started getting really tired and sleepy toward the end.. particularly on Sunday (Day 5) when I worked for a few hours at school. I slept that afternoon for hours which is VERY unlike me!




1 comment:

秀芬 said...

Hi dear,
How are you doing?
any updates beside these 3 photos?
So you have confirmed your new townhouse?
can't wait to hear from you.
kiss n hugs..