Saturday 9 May 2009

The Countdown

What was probably one of the easiest pregnancies has developed a few 'minor' (not sure yet) complications. Admittedly, getting pregnant in the first place was more of an ordeal for us with hormone injections and surgical proceedures. Therefore, I guess it was only fair that I didn't suffer from much nausea, and completely avoided vomitting, embarrassing flatulence, linea negra, hair growth, skin rashes, vaginal infections, body swelling, gestational diabetes, stomach upsets, cravings, ligament pains, major discomfort when sleeping etc.. and despite a 20kg weight gain (57-77kgs), my face, arms and legs look the same as before. Naturally, my stomach is big as are my upper thighs and hips.

The sudden drop in the position of the baby onto my pelvis alerted us to the approach to the final stretch. It was actually quite a relief to have more room for my lungs to fill properly and made finding a comfortable sleeping position much easier. It also meant that there is now more pressure on my pelvis and bladder again - night time bathroom visits have increased again. Another indication was the onset of slight contractions 'Braxton Hicks' to prepare my muscles for labour. I have also been religiously doing my pelvic muscle exercises to strengthen them.
Increased tiredness and the urge to go to bed early may also be a sign. I have continued swimming but less regularly and with less effort - enjoying the buoyancy more than anything else.

The past few weeks the frequency of visits to the doctor have also increased from once every three weeks/month to every week. I have been using these as a chance to ask all the questions I have about childbirth and his policy on labour. What I like is that he only administers the epidural when I request it and only minimal levels which can be regulated according to my pain. That way I can still feel the contractions and be actively involved in labour. Mobile epidurals are also standard here (I can still move about as it doesn't paralyse my lower body and I am attached to an IV). Episotomies are also not practised prior to delivery. It is a last minute decision made during crowning if the doctor sees that the head is too big and tearing will occur. Fingers crossed that neither one nor the other will happen.

The complications are related to my high blood pressure readings of late and further tests tomorrow will shed more light on the problem. Next post...

No comments: