Sunday 11 May 2008

Updates: Father's dream



Edward Hopper - Nighthawks

I also thought I would share an email that I received from my father that deeply moved me.... both for the sentiment and the beautiful way he captured a dream with his words.

Dag Saartje, I awoke from a dream and was wondering what it meant, felt a bit worried. It was a somewhat strange scene on the curb of a street in a city, it was a western city, european maybe, but there was a sort of emptiness and solitude which made me think of a Hopper painting, you know the one probably, of the diner in the night, a street and you see through the glass of the diner a lonely man sitting at the counter, that sort of solitude, but this was daylight. There is a friend of mine and his wife; I never saw this people before in my real life, but he and his wife are my friends. He is a driving instructor, his car is at the curb with the doors open, the female student is out and he is talking to her, he is a sort of mad at her because the only reason why she takes driving lessons is to have her parents driven around and see the city for free. The parents sit in the back of the car, an old couple, and my friend gets them out, the car now seems like a sort of womb where two creatures are pulled out from. Then my friend starts to get behind the wheel in order to leave, but I call him back: wait, I want you to meet my daughter. You are there standing tall, beautiful in a camel coat; the whole scene is in soft tones, colours, but soft, I feel my love for you. This is Sarah, I say, to him and his wife. Then the other people seem to fade away when you turn to me, and there are tears in your eyes.
Then it was all gone and I woke up, strangely moved and worried, I told Feetje who was awake that I had this bizarre dream about Sarah, and that maybe I should write her. Of course, in the morning, one thinks it's nothing, just a dream. She's fine.
I wanted to tell you the dream anyway, I cannot write e-mails (well, I can but it's not my machine and definitely not my thing), so I'll ask Feetje to type this in and mail to you. We don't have much contact, but I love you and a dream like this reminds me of that.

No comments: