Tuesday 6 May 2008

Updates: Phuket



We just came back from Phuket. Amandio had a Sales and Marketing conference there over the long weekend. It was a last minute decision to go, but seeing as Thursday was a public holiday,I managed to postpone my Friday classes and go for a long weekend. Unfortunately there were only seats left in Business Class on Wednesday evening - so.. I had to make do :-)
Packing light, I didn't take a book with me...also bearing in mind that the resort has a library. Imagine my surprise when the only book available in English was a hard back Danielle Steel (haven't read those since I was a teenager). It definitely made for some brainless, predictable reading (cover removed so as not to be too conspicuous!) by the pool :-0 Needless to say, I finished it in record time.
The highlight of the stay must have been the gypsy themed party organised for all the conference delegates on the last night. Amandio was a sight for sore eyes with his sexy hair chest bulging out of a colourful shirt three sizes too small for him. The bright canary yellow (erm.. see through) fisherman's trousers completed the look. The party was held on the beach on the island in front of the resort. Getting there was an adventure. Earlier that day part of the jetty broke off and was closed to all guests. It was replaced by a rather precarious long floating walkway that snaked from the beach to the awaiting long tail boats. The rough sea meant that we had to balance our way along it (without any support) armed with lifejackets and raincoats. On the way to the island I was very demure, steadying myself on one of the staff's arms. However... a couple of hours.. and drinks later..putting fate in my hands, I legged it to safety - false confidence works!! It kind of felt like surfing especially when I was pushed along even faster as the waves crashed onto the shore.
We arrived back on Sunday night. Monday was a religious holiday here and Amandio's chance to get back at me for having a break while he slaved away in workshops. My school didn't take the day off (to take it in lieu over Xmas), so I had to tear myself out of bed, while Amandio slept peacefully on. Life is back to normal, working as many hours as possible.. saving..saving :-)

No comments: