Friday 27 April 2007

Music: Le Roi a fait...


Le Roi a fait battre tambour

Browsing through Dailymotion, I came across this French Popular song, 1946! This brought back memories I had completely forgotten about. Elma and I used to sing this (with piano) when I was a child. At the time I spoke only a few words of French but I loved the tragedy of it, which Elma and I did our best to dramatise in our own exaggerated fun way. Actually, come to think of it tragic beauty was firmly rooted in my artistic upbringing; Bedtime Oscar Wilde stories by the open fire, Irish and French popular songs, Shakespears plays and sonnets, Yeats' unrequited love poetry... hmmm :-)
I just love it when something you see or hear triggers a memory from the deep recesses of our minds. Feels great!

Check out the video if you are curious - of course a much better rendition :-)
http://www.dailymotion.com/cluster/travel/popular-week/video/x1sno5_leroiafaitbattretambour

Le Roi a fait battre tambour [bis]
Pour voir toutes ses Dames
Et la première qu'il a vue
Lui a ravi son âme

Marquis, dis-moi, la connais-tu [bis]
Qui est cette jolie dame ?
Le Marquis lui a répondu :
Sire Roi, c'est ma femme !

Marquis tu es plus heureux que moi [bis]
D'avoir dame si belle
Si tu voulais me l'accorder
Je me chargerais d'elle

Sire, si vous n'étiez le Roi [bis]
J'en tirerais vengeance
Mais puisque vous êtes le Roi
A votre obéissance

Marquis ne te fâche donc pas [bis]
T'auras ta récompense
Je te ferai dans mes armées
Mon Maréchal de France

Adieu ma mie, adieu mon cœur [bis]
Adieu mon espérance
Puisqu'il te faut servir le roi
Séparons-nous d'ensemble...

La Reine a fait faire un bouquet [bis]
De jolies fleurs de lys
Et la senteur de ce bouquet
A fait mourir Marquise...

No comments: