Tuesday 24 April 2007

Updates: Back to normal


Image: Random thoughts

Not doing anything special this week besides working (30hrs including the weekend) and writing poems (as you have probably noticed!). I've also been trying to catch up on my email correspondence - so expect to hear from me soon.
Thanks for letting me know that you don't have access to my videos on www.dailymotion.com/footprint-s in Dubai. You can now find them in my 'Picasa' album. I will send you the links.

Life in Bangkok has returned to normal, streets scrubbed clean, all evidence of the 'Water & Flour War' covered up. The 'farangs' are once again the 'untouchables' -racism in reverse. I struggle with this a lot actually - don't like the way that Thais almost revere foreigners as though we are Gods! FAAAR from it! However, I am glad to see that this notion is changing slightly, particularly among the younger generation. I contribute by trying to reinforce equality in my classes - (just show them how blond and approachable I can be - lol). Unfortunately this is doubly challenging because teachers are on the same level as monks in the social hierarchy. Hmm, not sure about that….

A colleague of Amandio's went to Macau last weekend and came back with a suitcase full of Portuguese delights. I have decided to prepare a traditional Portuguese lunch next Tuesday (May 1st – public holiday). I haven't entertained in a while, so I am looking forward to that. Well… ermm… thinking about it.. slaving in the kitchen without AC in 40 degree heat. Oh.. and without our maid to help out (Gosh, I am getting too spoilt!) Let's hope that it will all be worth it!

New Cambridge has organised a Badminton team-building afternoon this Saturday after work. Sounds fun – don't know if I can even hit a shuttlecock anymore!?
I'll keep you posted.

No comments: