Thursday 7 June 2007

Updates: 8yr Anniversary


9th June 1999 - The day we met.

You all probably know the story, but seeing as my blog is a type of diary I decided to write it all down (hmmm.. let's see if I remember :-) a bit sketchy on details.

Me; 21 years old (almost 22), a Tourism Management and Marketing Student looking for some summer work experience. I had had several interviews at travel agents, inbound/outbound tour operators and hotels before fate intervened and I set foot in Starwood European Customer Contact Centre. I was immediately attracted to the Corporate Culture and the huge variety of nationalities, languages and experiences of the staff (fun!). I also realised I could learn a lot about the multinational hotel world and perhaps make some useful contacts. I accepted the position offered (Reservations Agent taking Dutch, German and English calls).
So, I arrived at the office half an hour early (you know me, Dutch blood .. always early!) and was told to wait in the canteen. Some people were sitting around a table so I joined them. It turns out that they were also new hires starting that day (3 week induction/systems/call handling guidelines/product knowledge training). The door opened and looking around I locked eyes with this interesting looking man who after getting an espresso sat beside us. He was charming, spoke with elaborated arm movements, made a few jokes and had this twinkle in his eye - very intriguing. I can't remember anything about the conversation. Shortly afterwards we were called to the training room. I followed a Swedish girl who I thought looked interesting and was potential friendship material, so I sat down beside her. Amandio sat down beside me (he will have to explain his motivations for that himself! - LOL)
There was immediate chemistry, lots of innocent flirting and teasing. Friendly as I am, I offered to take Amandio and an Egyptian guy who was also sitting in the front row to the bank (to open an account for wage transfers). Throughout the three weeks of training I got to learn that he had an intriguing well-travelled background, amazing zest for life, passionate about future dreams, intelligent, curious nature, loved adventures, very attentive, very observant, a risk taker, strange sense of humour and yeah.. a charmer (he had no qualms about telling me that he had two other girlfriends in Paris at the time :-) I wasn't any better, I also had a long term boyfriend but had already split up once and our relationship was going down the toilet. I soon found myself falling under his spell. The atmosphere in the office was electric - we hung out with a circle of international friends, salsa dancing, restaurants, bars and discos. Things were rapidly heating up between us, 'innocent' touches, flirting, making suggestive comments etc. Finally, one month later we kissed :-) I can't say that it was an earth shattering kiss (we knew it was going to happen, I felt a little guilty and it is always strange kissing someone when you are used to someone else). The earth moved however the following day when he kissed me goodbye in the hallway of his apartment. That was the moment I fell in love.
I cut away all ties with my boyfriend and gave myself over completely to the most intense weeks of my life. Then, heart ache! One of his girlfriends decided she wanted to live in Ireland. We called a halt, I had fallen too deep and couldn't be the bit on the side (it was all or nothing for me). Amandio being a gentleman (a bit taken aback by his own feelings for me too) gave her time to find her feet before breaking it off with her. During this period, all I remember is listening to Macy Gray 'I Try' and 'trying' to get on with my life, going out and seeing other guys.
Early that November we went with a group of ten on a Familiarisation trip to Florida (we had won these for achieving the highest sales results in the office). I restrained myself the first night but then after that I couldn't resist his advances, so we had two weeks of clandestine romance. On the plane on the way home we acknowledged the strength of what we had together, yet also realised that the time was wrong (he had his girlfriends/not ready to settle) and I was finishing my studies, just out of a longterm relationship and thinking of going to Wales to do a follow up course. We decided to let destiny take its course.. if we were meant to be it would happen.
Who were we kidding!! By Millenium New Years Eve he had broken off his relationships (given himself some time alone to re adjust) and was on a bus with me to spend the holidays with me, Elma and Rinus in Castletownbere. The stars were aligned perfectly that night and we couldn't have been happier. He was a big hit and was completely at home with my family, being the perfect gentleman that he is, charming and obviously besotted by me. As Elma said it was if he needed to touch me every few seconds. I moved in to his new apartment, which he shared with his brother Pedro, a month later.
Amandio has a slightly different version: He says we met outside the office first where he was smoking a cigarrette and asked me directions to the canteen. I honestly don't remember this, but it is possible. I was nervous for my first day at work.
So that is the story! Eight years later we are here together living one of the many dreams we shared way back then - together on a paradise island with palm trees.

Happy Anniversary Jojinho. I love you :-)

No comments: